Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Barking barricades

I love dogs. I especially love big dogs. In fact, I used to wish I was Emily Elizabeth so I could have a big, red one like Clifford. However, living with my sister’s dog for the past few weeks has led me to realize how much of a nuisance it is to have to constantly maneuver around an animal.

Sprocket knows exactly where to stand to prevent you from getting to your destination. It is as if we are living with a student driver who feels the need to slow down whenever there is traffic. However, she is quite adept at parallel parking. She favors narrow doorways, small spaces and prime locations such as right in front of the kitchen sink.

Interestingly enough, I was perusing the New York Times online today when I saw this posting on the Well blog: A new study shows that more than 86,000 people a year end up in the emergency room because they tripped over the family pet. The data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention show that while we sometimes trip over our cats, dogs are the primary cause of pet-related falling accidents.

A few hundred Times readers posted comments about experiences tripping over their pets, but I’m curious as to whether anyone has come up with any creative solutions to prevent this from happening. Commands? Sensors? Super-strong magnets?

1 comment:

  1. Hahaha, no! I have a cat like that, Cassidy, and I swear to God I'M going to end up in the ER because I've tripped over her. It's as though she sprints to be under foot at every opportunity, especially when she knows you're distracted and not paying attention expressly to her. Just think of it as agility training.

    ReplyDelete