Tuesday, February 16, 2010

A Valentine's surprise

Considering Darek and I would only have one Valentine's Day as an engaged couple, I have to admit I was a bit disappointed when Darek said we'd be spending all of Feb. 14 with his family. My vision of a candlelit dinner with Josh Groban in the background was clearly not in the cards.

I didn't anticipate that this would be one of the most memorable Valentine's Days I've ever experienced.

The reason we were spending the day with my future in-laws was to celebrate Darek's grandparents' 60th wedding anniversary. To honor their marriage, a Catholic mass was held in their name. Respectfully, I linked arms with my future hubby and accompanied him and his family to the service, which was entirely in Polish.

An hour went by. I found myself fighting off yawns and praying my stomach wouldn't growl during any solemn moments. Finally, in the last 15 minutes of the mass, the priest motioned for Babcia and Dziadek to stand.

At ages 88 and 90, each grasping a cane, they stood up in front of the congregation and renewed their vows. I didn't understand a word of what was said, but within 10 seconds, I was a sobbing mess. In fewer than six months, Darek and I would be up at the altar, promising to love each other and support each other till death do us part. Now I know what that promise looks like.

What a wonderful event to witness on the Valentine's Day! I pray that Darek and I can follow in his grandparents' footsteps and enjoy at least 60 years of happiness together.

1 comment: