Sunday, March 14, 2010

That fruity thing we did

So Darek and I survived our three-day fruit and vegetable diet. In fact, it was actually quite enjoyable. I'll admit the first day was rough -- I was dying for a turkey sandwich -- but by day three, the rabbitesque menu didn't seem so bad.

Call it a placebo effect, but Darek and I both felt like we had more energy than normal during those three days. Even on Tuesday, when I had my 4:45 a.m. client, I didn't feel a need for an afternoon nap. And while I usually treat myself to a coffee before returning to work in the evening, by Wednesday I was reaching for an apple with just as much enthusiasm.

We did modify a few things from our original plan. Halfway through day one, we decided to include nuts on the menu. And we allowed ourselves to drink coffee in the morning (hey, coffee beans are from the ground, right?).

The fun part was coming up with unique ways to make hearty meals out of produce. We ate a LOT of avocados, squash and mushrooms (not together, of course), and I invented a couple of recipes that I will actually use again.

I don't think I would ever do anything like this long-term, but it did feel great on Thursday, when we had gone back to our normal eating habits, to still be craving a juicy piece of fruit for a snack. Darek and I decided that we would definitely try to substitute more fruits and vegetables for foods such as granola bars and other quick-fix carbs.

No comments:

Post a Comment