Friday, December 19, 2008

Grown-ups get snow days, too!

Thanks to 10 inches of snow intrenching my car this morning, I stayed home from work and sampled the luxurious life of a freelancer today. I definitely enjoyed cozying up in front of my Christmas tree with my laptop, but there's a big difference between kid snow days and grown-up snow days.

Kid snow days mean no school, sledding and building snow forts. Grown-up snow days mean you still have to work, and sooner or later, you have to dislodge your car from its personal avalanche. Kid snow days mean knocking on the neighbors' door to challenge them to a snowball fight. Grown-up snow days, as I learned this afternoon, mean enlisting the neighbors to help push your stuck car out of the parking lot.

Seriously, the roads here are awful. I had to take my car to fix a loose tie rod before I leave for Chicago tomorrow, and the drive to the mechanic was like fording the river in Oregon Trail. Except instead of oxen, I have a Mustang.

I really hope tomorrow is a lot better, because there's no way I can drive 250 miles in this mess.

No comments:

Post a Comment