Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Starting off right

It just so happens that the day of my first blog is a day that I've done something worthy of posting. On my way home from work today, I was listening to 103.5, Detroit's Christian radio station, and the DJ was trying to get listeners to sponsor children through World Vision. The way it works is you pay a dollar a day to support an impoverished child abroad.

I must have heard the same schpeal hundreds of times -- "Little [insert unpronounceable name] from [insert third-world-country] was born on [insert date]. He/She desperately needs a sponsor, etc." Every time I hear this, I tell myself I'm going to call and sponsor a child. Then I decide it's too hard to dial while driving and that I'll do it next time. Or that I'll do it when the kid who needs a sponsor has my birthday. And then I feel a tinge of guilt. And it goes away by the time the next song comes on.

Tonight, somehow, was different. Maybe because I had just gotten off the phone with a friend when the WV schpeal came on. Maybe because little [name I don't even remember that starts with a T] has a birthday on February 8th (mine's the 9th). Or maybe just because everything is so dismal in Detroit that I needed a boost. In any case, I got myself a kid in Ethiopia today. Granted, I'm no Angelina Jolie, but it feels pretty good to finally have called that number.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Nicole,

    That warm fuzzy feeling never hurt anyone! Good for you. :)

    Libbie

    ReplyDelete