Saturday, January 3, 2009

Splitting the difference

Yesterday I slept through my alarm, woke up half an hour before I had to be at work, rushed out the door and was issued a speeding ticket within five minutes. That’s another $120 to add to my unplanned car-related expenses – $500 for body work and $350 for new brake pads and a loose tie rod – in the past two months. And to top it off, when I came home I had a $750 car insurance payment waiting for me.

Insurance and worn-out parts are inevitable, but this ticket really should not have happened. It’s not like I was rushing off to catch a flight or get a free cookie or something (yes, baked goods are sufficient incentive to speed). I had no business speeding to get to work. In any case, it happened, and so I have resorted to a favorite shopping technique to justify my $120 check to the Royal Oak Police Department.

Whenever I want to buy something expensive, for example, a $100 pair of shoes, I recall a great deal I recently got and pretend that the cute $10 sweater was actually $40 and that the $100 shoes are only $70. Sold!

In the case of my speeding ticket, I have come up with a few possibilities to split the difference. For one, my $0 New Year’s Eve easily should have run me at least $20. And the fact that Monday I got a raise, retroactive to September – I’ll just pretend it started in October. Oh, and I got a nice chunk of cash for Christmas, so that helps, too.

Hmmm… maybe I need a new pair of shoes.

1 comment:

  1. You're cracking me up with your shopping rationale! I can't say it's a bad idea though...sorry to hear about your ticket. That always sucks! :(

    ReplyDelete