Monday, January 18, 2010

Life's work

How many jobs can one person have in a lifetime? More importantly, how many jobs can one excel at? I'm wondering this right now, as I consider what direction I eventually want to take my career. I enjoy working as a personal trainer but I feel like I can't be an excellent trainer if I also want to be an excellent writer. And someday down the road, I'd really like to be an excellent mom, too.

In fact, If I could, I would be a supermom, freelance writer, personal trainer, exercise physiologist, entrepreneur, photographer, artist, advertising copywriter, book author and professional dog walker.

The only person I've known to come close to such a feat was my dad. Somehow, he managed to balance successful careers as a barber and engineer, while being the best dad a child could ever ask for. Oh, and prior to that, he'd lived out his dream of racing stock cars. Sure, he lost out on sleep, but considering that he only lived to be 47, I think he took the best path out there. Just think if he'd had 47 more years!

1 comment: