Thursday, January 14, 2010

Wake up call

This morning I woke up at the ungodly hour of 4 a.m. At a time when nocturnal creatures are eating dinner and college students are coming home from the bars, I was climbing into my car to go to work.

As far as I can remember, the only other time I’ve done such a thing was when preparing to catch a flight out of O’Hare – and in that case, I promptly returned to my slumber as soon as I boarded the plane. Today, however, I had to play peppy cheerleader for my 4:45 a.m. client, an investment-banking hotshot who starts work at 6:30 a.m.

I have to give the guy a lot of credit – he works 12-hour days and wants to be home at night for his wife and three kids. Kind of makes you think about people who “don’t have time to work out.” While I wouldn’t recommend those people haul their asses to the gym at 4 in the morning, I do believe anyone can “make time” for something, if they want it badly enough.

In fact, I probably should be napping right now (before I return to work at 6 p.m.), but Mr. Investment Guy has inspired me to sit down and write, the thing that I need to make time to do.

Today my boss sent out an email to all of us trainers with some words from inspirational speaker Anthony Robbins. Robbins says that if you’re not meeting your goals, you need to raise your standards:

“Raising your standards truly means turning your shoulds into musts. Everyone has a list of shoulds: ‘I should spend more time with my kids.’ ‘I should spend more time with a business plan.’ ‘I should lose some weight.’ I should, I should, I should. People don’t actually change. They just end up what I call, “shoulding” all over themselves. Convert those “shoulds” into “musts” and your entire life changes. … When you feel that you absolutely must get something done, you will find a way.”

Turn one “should” into a “must” this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment